10% OFF TRADITIONAL SHIP SKILLS WEEK
Excelsior is running a Traditional Ship Skills Week in August 2018
It will be hosted onboard Excelsior at their yard in Lowestoft, UK
£945 £850 per person
With 10% SaltyJobs Crew Member Discount
|SaltyJobs Offer||10% Discount|
|Event||Traditional Ship Skills Week|
|Employer||The Excelsior Trust|
|Includes||Accommodation, food, one day sail, workshops, materials|
|SaltyJobs Members’ Price||£850|
Traditional Ship Skills Week – 13th to 19th August 2018
Inspired by our collaborative Salty Weekend in February, The Excelsior Trust is running an intensive one week course in traditional boat and ship care. This is in partnership with International Boatbuilding Training College Lowestoft and North Sea Sails.
The week will be hosted onboard Excelsior at their yard in Lowestoft, UK. Accommodation will be provided onboard, in addition to all breakfast, lunch, suppers, tea, coffee etc. (apart from one meal out which will cost £6-£12).
It also includes a day sail onboard Excelsior herself, focusing on the elements relevant to this week.
What Will It Cover?
This Traditional Ship Skills Week will include:
- Introduction to boat construction at IBTC Lowestoft – including a hands on steaming workshop
- One day sailing on board Excelsior – concentrating on handling, use of gear, understanding the ship and emergency practice
- 2 days with professional sail maker Steve Hall from North Sea Sails – learning sail repair and maintenance, take home your own ditty bag
- Workshop on care of ships gear – including rig maintenance, splitting blocks monthly and yearly routines
- Hands-on use of traditional tools – used in spar making, caulking and other ship repair routines
- Splicing workshop – from eye splice to more intricate, less practiced splices
- Knot, whipping & seizing workshops.
- History lectures – surrounding Excelsior Trust’s traditional fleet & yard
- Film night
Come away with a ditty bag you have made yourself, full of specialist tools. Handy for anyone who wants to become a bosun, or just wants to sail traditional boats.
Lowestoft: A Perfect Traditional Skills Hub
Oulton Broad and Lowestoft was once a hub of British ship building and is home to IBTC as well as Excelsior Yard. This hidden community is one of few which still teaches and practices professionally, the old skills mentioned in such books as Tree to Sea. Be taught by not just lecturers but skilled crafts people and professional crew that use these skills day to day.
The course is designed to be useful in the overall care of traditional vessels and identifies the most common skills required to do this.
The location for this week will be:
The Excelsior Yard
…a few minutes’ walk from Oulton Broad North railway station.
The Cost & What’s Included
Price £945 per person.
This includes accommodation onboard, all food except for one evening meal ashore, materials for all sessions, workshops throughout the week, relevant hand-outs and resources, talks, lectures & films, and friends for life. The only other cost will be your travel there. (Oulton Broad North train station.)